Monday, April 18, 2016

What are your basic needs and are you living to fulfill them?

Finally on vacation where I can take of my needs, relax and be introspective.  Most of my days are filled with taking care of others, training others, and house holders duties.  There are not many moments when I am not “on” or waiting for the next moment to perform something.  As many of you are reading, you are probably nodding your head.  So if we are all taking care of others needs most of the time, when are we taking care of our own?  
Each morning while away I have taken time to meditate and journal.  During these introspective times I have found some valuable insight from doing a few very simple tasks.  I made a list of my needs, wants and desires.  Then I took some time, a day or two to think about them.  The choices I make daily that are not congruent with my needs and wants.
Here is what I came up with:
  • sleep 8-9 hours every night
  • meditate daily in the morning and/or afternoon
  • personal movement 1 hour a day
  • eat clean daily with more protein
  • calm environment
  • space daily for a few hours
  • intimacy with friends or lover
  • my mother to have health and peace
  • time for friends and family 1-2 times a week
  • vacation every 2 months
  • go out to dinner 2 times a week

It’s not too fancy or extreme.  You will probably come up with something very similar.  So if we know what our needs are and they are not ridiculous, then what is getting in the way of making them possible?
Here is what I came up with:
  • I over commit to others
  • I get caught up in the moment and don’t get my sleep
  • I don’t say no enough
  • I don’t value my time and my worth

Pretty significant when I put it on paper.  After looking at it and thinking about it, wow! this is a spiral or dominos “effect” that affects all my affairs.  I have some Spring cleaning to do in my mind/body/heart house.  The first step is being honest.  The second is change the behaviors I can control.  The third is accept the things I cannot control.

May this encourage you to find peace and health.

No comments:

Post a Comment